Splash Damage is a AAA video game studio based in the London Borough of Bromley, that has developed titles such as Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein, Brink, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Dirty Bomb, and has also worked on critically acclaimed third-party studio titles such as Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Gears of War 4, and more.
2015-01-01 - 2017-09-01
Towards the end of my time working on Gears of War 4, I began work on studio-wide tooling and backend services that addressed a variety of needs. The work largely consisted of upgrading dependencies, and migrating existing tooling that had since been deprecated during the time that we were working on the Gears of War franchise.
Find below some of the some of the work that I did during my time as this role.
- Tooling for VHD and workspace management
- Developed desktop application for managing VHDs that contained Perforce checkouts.
- Intended to reduce network bandwidth for new users with fresh workspaces (checkouts).
Upgrading and Migration of Existing Tooling
- Porting native codebases from Visual Studio 2012 to 2015 (MSVC).
- Including migration of third-party dependencies including the Autodesk FBX SDK, FreeImage, and libcurl.
- Refactoring legacy code to support later versions of third-party dependencies.
- Upgrading web applications from AngularJS 1.14 to Angular 4 with automated TypeScript build (transpile) and validation pipelines.
- Migrating backend of web applications from Python and Flask to NodeJS and TypeScript (REPL)
- Migrating backend databases from MongoDB to Microsoft SQL Server.
- Developed backend services
- Automated backups through TeamCity.
- Automated data synchronization between third-party services, including Active Directory and BambooHR.